Burlington Iowa Birth Photographer | Baby Lana’s Birth Story


On Friday, July 25th, I got a text from Laura telling me that she was going to be induced the next morning.  I was so excited – I think she was too!  Laura’s sweet baby girl was already four days late (by Saturday, it would be five), and I knew Momma and Daddy were ready to meet her.  I kept my phone on me at all times, the next day, to be sure I didn’t miss anything.  At 6:00 am they had arrived at the hospital where they learned that Laura needed antibiotics after failing the Strep B test.  Soon after, they were given all the necessary paperwork and were asked dozens of questions.

At 8:30 am, they broke her water and allowed her to walk up and down the halls for quite some time.  Labor had begun, and Laura was becoming more and more uncomfortable.  Finally, at around 11:00 am, they made their way back to the OB where Laura would continue laboring in her room.

Around 1:50 pm, Dr. Calderwood of Great River Medical Center (the same doctor that delivered Laura when she was born) checked Laura and she was at a 4/5 and fully effaced.  They started Pitocin, and from there, labor intensified.  After getting sick (and even needing oxygen), Laura was not allowed to drink anything or even have ice chips!  At 5:00, I arrived at the hospital to find John standing by Laura’s bed, rubbing her belly and holding her hand.  She had elected to endure labor without any pain meds – I was so proud of her.  And I was proud of her hubby.  From the moment I got there until Laura started pushing, John stood over her and comforted her during every contraction.  I was blown away!

At one point, during a contraction, John thought Laura had called him “slicko” because he had let go of her hand before it was over.  He thought that was pretty funny, as did I – that is, until I realized she had actually said “you let go,” not “slicko.”  It was one of those sweet, silly moments we can so easily forget, especially during such a long, tiring day.  I was just so glad to be a fly on the wall – to document this funny memory.

At 7:00, we were excited to learn that Laura had progressed to 8 cm, and within the next hour, she was fully dilated.  At 8:18 exactly (trust me, I checked), Laura started pushing.  That warrior of a woman gave it everything she had, and with her amazing hubby and me there to coach her, she kept it up for two solid hours.  Dr. Calderwood left as the pushing continued and stopped back in every half hour or so to check on her.

I could tell Laura was getting exhausted, and she even asked the doctor what else could be done to help with the birth.  Dr. Calderwood checked in one last time and told Laura and John that the baby was not progressing as fast as he’d like.  He then ordered a c-section and instructed Laura not to push – just breath through the contractions.  She would have to wait for the OR staff to arrive and for them to prep the room for surgery.  My heart broke for Laura at that moment – she had worked so hard, for so long!  However, I knew, as did she, that all things happen for a reason, and that now was the time to do what was best for the baby.

The nurse wrapped Laura’s legs with something she explained would help prevent clotting while in surgery.  Laura had to receive oxygen and then just lay there and wait.  Boy did she have to wait.  No meds… no pushing… no water… nothing!  Just breath through the contractions.  For FOURTY FIVE MINUTES!  I found myself checking the clock; glancing up every time someone came into the room – hoping they were coming to get Laura!  I can’t even imagine.  Every moment that Laura buried her face in her pillow, enduring the pain, with no relief at all – my heart broke.

Finally, at 11:00 pm, the OR nurses rushed in, gave her some pain meds, and then wheeled Laura out of the room.  John quickly dressed in his scrubs and waited to be called back.  I told him he looked like a blue ninja (or as my son would say, the blue Power Ranger)!  He took advantage of the short break to let the rest of the family know what was going on.

I anxiously waited outside the OR, directly next to the nursery, in hopes of catching a glimpse of the new baby!  As I waited, Laura’s nurse came out and told me I would be able to go into the nursery and take pictures of the baby.  I wasn’t expecting that invitation, so I was ecstatic!  When John came out, holding the baby, I think I was beaming with pride – the newest member of my family, my niece, was finally here!

Welcome to the world, Baby Lana Sofia!  Born at 11:37 pm, Saturday July 26th, 2014, she weighed 7 lb. 9.6 oz. and was 21 inches long!  What a sweetheart – I’m in love! <3

Eryn - August 9, 2014 - 10:55 pm

I loved reading this! What beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing it.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *



There was an error submitting your comment. Please try again.

F a c e b o o k
T w e e t s